Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sometimes I Give Up

   I'm a very talented excuse-maker. I can make excuses for not eating a cupcake at a party. I can make excuses for holing up in my room like a bear. Oh, and I can make excuses for writing.
"I just don't feel like it."
"I don't have time."
"I don't feel very good."
"If I write now, it won't be anything good. I should just wait until I have more inspiration."
Okay, so this is what goes through my mind every. stinkin. day. I go to the document and blankly stare. I start a timer and then go on Facebook and then the timer beeps and I've got nothing. I start it again and then decide I don't want to do it and close it. I give up all the time, even if only for a little while. But sometimes I give up for good. The dozens of unfinished stories from when I was little proves that. I'm not good at sticking with things. And sometimes I want to quit this story. Because it's probably not good enough anyway. It's not like anyone is going to like it.

   But then I realize that I respect myself enough to finish this story. And yes, sometimes I get discouraged and I want to quit. But this is not going to be one of those unfinished documents that I look at and think, "I threw in the towel. I quit." Because I am going to finish this book.

What self-doubts have you guys had while writing?

--Mandy

1 comment:

  1. I think the main reason I stopped blogging was because I had so much self-doubt about my writing and thoughts being inferior. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete